Last night I received a tweet from my good friend CJ over at DYSB Writing. CJ and I know each other in person. Like, she lives about five minutes by car away from me. I can literally walk to her house in 30 minutes. Ten months ago I didn’t even know she existed, and now, I can’t begin to think of how much joy she has brought to my life just by being in it. She’s soft-spoken and soft-hearted. She is kindness itself. I haven’t really heard from her lately because both her life (she has three boys-one set of twins to be exact) and my life (I have four boys-three live at home with me) have just been crazy busy. She’s missed a couple of writing groups, which is where I met her, and I always feel her absence when she’s not there. CJ gives a good critique and I always listen whenever she has an issue with something I’ve written. She’s usually very perceptive at catching something that I may have had a problem with when writing. So, when I heard from her last night, I smiled. I didn’t have time to respond other than to click on favorite so she’d know I saw it, but her tweet was just a message letting me know that she had nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award. Thank you, CJ. You are a sweetheart.
CJ’s blog is what I consider lovely. Her blog posts talk about her writing and her life in such a way as to capture your interest and draw you into her home. She has a simple theme and it doesn’t distract from her posts. She may not blog often but I always enjoy reading her posts when she does have something to blog about. And I’m not saying that just because I’m her friend. Check her blog out and see for yourself. Compared to her blog, I wouldn’t say mine is lovely. So, I checked out some other blogs that received nominations and they are as varied in interests as people are. That’s when I brought out the dictionary and looked up the word “lovely”. According to dictionary.com lovely can be used as an adjective and a noun. As an adjective, it has four meanings, one of those which reads: having a beauty that appeals to the heart or mind as well as to the eye, as a person or a face. Another meaning is “delightful” and “highly pleasing”.
Well, now. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder then maybe someone out there finds my blog delightful. (I sincerely like to think that so don’t tell me if it isn’t. Ignorance is bliss, remember?) CJ must think so as she nominated me in the first place. So, here are the rules as I understand them.
1. Thank the person who nominated you. (Check)
2. Share 7 things about yourself. (Fun)
3. Nominate other people as this is a blog hop. (Will do.)
Seven things about me. Well, I shared seven things back when I received the Versatile Blogger Award. So, if I put something down from there, just remember that was months ago and the mind begins to go at my age. (wink wink)
1. I have nine cats at the moment and no, I am not a crazy cat lady. I don’t want to be. No one wants to take any of the cats (I’m willing to part with 5-6 of them) and I’m having trouble finding a no-kill shelter. Besides, I’d rather they go to good families. Two of them (the parents of 6 of them) were rescues themselves.
2. I like old maps, especially the kind that have “there be monsters here” written on them or something similar. I have found some online that I plan on printing up, framing, and then hanging up in my home.
3. My dryer is still on strike. Its old, and I think it’s hoping I will send it to a retirement/nursing home for senior appliances. Am not minding the savings in electricity though from having to dry using a clothesline. Only trouble is high humidity days. Can’t do laundry then, and I will not go to a laundromat unless the clothes begin to take over.
4. The Hobbit was the very first fantasy book I read. That was when I was in 7th grade. It changed my life.
5. I love the movie Borrowed Hearts with Roma Downey, Eric McCormack, and Hector Elizondo. I wait to watch it every Christmas. I’m not a big It’s A Wonderful Life fan (blasphemy!), but I love this one. Although, my favorite Christmas movie is A Miracle On 34th Street (Maureen O’Hara, Edmund Gwenn, Natalie Wood).
6. I was supposed to have been named Jennifer Rebecca when I was born because my mom wanted to call me Jenny. Instead, I was named after her and my grandfather, Jesse, due to both families deciding that was much too big a name for such a tiny baby (I was 6 pounds). When I was little, and to this day, people who first meet me call me Jennifer, and just recently someone called me Rebecca. I find this ironically amusing.
7. I love the Texas State Fair. The kids and I try to go every year. Last year they had a Chinese Lantern Festival exhibit which was fantastic. My favorite exhibits are the butterfly garden, the crafts pavilion, and the Exotic Bird show. My very first date was with a boy who took me to his home for the afternoon to meet his mom, then out to downtown Dallas, and then to the Midway at the Fair grounds. I still think it was romantic.
There you have it. My seven things. Now to nominate people. Those of you who I nominate do not have to respond. I think these things are fun but mostly, I like to think it’s nice to give recognition to those you think deserve it. Therefore I nominate:
AJ Prince from For Love Of… (CJ and I both tagged you, ha!)
Annette Burrell from Annette Burrell
Alison Robinson on Facebook (yes, I know she doesn’t have a blog but she’s a wonderful person and writer and needs to start a blog-wink wink nudge nudge)
Taylor Eaton from Little Write Lies. (Wonderful writer and friend)
Christopher Jackson-Ash over at FirstWorld, home of Kris the Bard (I honestly can’t say anything…I’m laughing too hard-just go check it out)
That’s all I have for now. I hope you had a great weekend and that this week takes it easy on you.